Boston Dynamics Is Getting Ready to Produce Lots of SpotMinis
Boston Dynamics has finally started to pivot from research towards manufacture of commercial products, with the following uses as priority:
– entertainment – the first and easiest scenario
– emergency response – eg search and rescue, surveillance
– Security – think about automating property line walks etc.
Longer term, they see their devices:
– warehouse logistics – although not clear why a wheeled robot isn’t a better fit
– parcel delivery – jumping from the back of a truck to deliver a parcel
– construction – perhaps an extension of emergency response, robots could carry heavy loads around sites
– caregiving – the ultimate scenario with the most complex requirements
But what are they going to do?